Effective Supervisors Solve Problems
Ana avoids problems. She thinks that any problem that her staff creates reflects her ability as a supervisor. Problems stressed her out.
Successful supervisors are effective problem solvers. And you can learn to solve problems systematically.
1. Define the problem. Is there really a problem? Determine exactly what it is.
You will sometimes discover that your problem is a beautiful one that once solved will bring you better opportunities. There are problems that although you cannot fully eliminate, you can minimize.
2. Gather information. Gather as much data. Jumping to your default solution may not solve the problem. It is likely that Einstein is right. Your present problem is a product of your present thinking. But don’t take too long. Some problems need solution now.
3. Consider the alternate solutions to the problems. Your first solution in mind is not always the best solution. That’s your default. Don’t jump into that.
Make a list of possible solutions. Combine solutions to create new ones. Consider opposite solutions too. Compare solutions, then prioritize them from most likely to least likely
When necessary, encourage your staff to share possible solutions to the problems.
4. Pick the best solution. Choose the best solution at the top of your list. This is not democracy. You do not have to make your staff vote for the best solution. Take charge. Remember that the management will hold you accountable to your decisions.
5. Apply the best solution. Understand that many meetings produced bright ideas that were not put into action. Monitor how your staff apply the best solution.
6. Evaluate the impact of the best solution. When everything is done according to your plan, you will be able to determine the true impact of your solution. If your best solution solves the problem, let your staff know. Document when necessary.
7. Adjust. Even the best solutions can be improved. Find out how you can make your solutions work better and faster.
You can find other systematic and creative ways to solve problems. Always remember that there are better ways.
Jef Menguin is your partner in enabling managers, supervisors, and staff.
Since 2008, Jef Menguin has delivered 30 keynote speeches each year on leadership, teamwork, customer service, entrepreneurship, and intentional influence. He also conducts bootcamps, masterclasses, workshops, seminars, and other leadership learning sessions.
He has trained thousands of leaders in the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, and Taiwan.
Develop Your Talents
Build your knowledge, skills, and abilities to help others develop and achieve their full potentials so you can accelerate the growth and success of your organization.
I have worked with workplace learning professionals who were tasked to develop relevant content, resources, and tools to build and develop talents in their organizations.
Create multiple channels of learning experiences and opportunities. Go beyond “training and development” and transform learning and organizational culture in your organization.
Work with me.
Let’s Start Something new
Get in touch now!
Jef Menguin can help you equip and enable your managers, supervisors, team leaders and staff.
Twenty five years ago, there were two newspaper boys. Both were born to poor families and both had parents who did not have college education.
They were selling newspapers to support their families.
Dodong, the younger and smaller one, couldn’t compete for customers against Toto who was older and bigger. Toto ran faster. He offered discounts. And he convinced customers to pay him only during pay days.
Five years ago, these two met again on that place where they used to wait for customers.read more
A motivational speaker has two jobs: push you to dream bigger and to encourage you to make your dreams real.
The motivational speaker tells stories so you can see yourself from those who became successful. In his stories, he shows you that every successful person is somewhat like you. Or that you are in reality in a better position and is more capable of achieving whatever you want in life.read more
[catlist categorypage=”yes” orderby=rand numberposts=6 excludeposts=this]