Get a resource speaker for schools that can provide teachers and students the inspiration and encouragement they need to succeed. A resource speaker is like a mentor on stage, paid to help you solve your challenges or for you to create new opportunities.
Why get a resource speaker for schools?
Let us build our nation by building our schools. Workplace practitioners can help our educational managers create a responsive and future-ready curriculum. We can bring the best leadership practices of CEOs to educational leaders around the country.
We can also encourage and enable teachers to take leadership. We need teachers who have the confidence to challenge the status quo. We need teachers who are never content with good enough. We need teachers who are creators and innovators.
We can develop our student leaders. College education must provide them opportunities to learn theories and concepts. It will be great if we can help them find their dream jobs. It will be great if they will learn design thinking, system thinking, creative thinking, and critical thinking skills.
I am in a unique place.
I know how it was to be a student in public schools in the Philippines. And I realized the great disadvantages while teaching in private schools. The gap in learning and teaching is huge.
My work as a leadership consultant to dozens of companies in the Philippines allows me to see opportunities that I can offer both to teachers and students.
Sure, one can easily find a resource speaker for schools. We have excellent speakers from the academe. We have educators who have PhDs. But we lack someone who speaks from the perspective of work and leadership.
This is why being a resource speaker for schools becomes a fulfillment of a mission.
Teach to Touch Lives
I was a school teacher for more than ten years. Teaching taught me a lot of things that helped me in designing courses and coaching leaders of various organizations. I believe that our government must invest in teacher development.
I fully understand that many teachers, especially those in public schools, do not feel the need for another training. It is not because they already know so many things. On the contrary, many teachers think that they are inadequate.
I believe that teachers want to learn more. To be truly useful, they must be ahead. It is pity that many of our kids are more technology-savvy than most of our teachers. It is a pity that teachers are having difficulties in teaching. They find it challenging to get students’ attention. Why not, they are competing against online games and entertainment.
But technology cannot replace teachers. Technology cannot be better than awesome teachers. That’s because awesome teachers touch lives.
I have met many teachers who shared their stories with me. I have interviewed many school principals. And I have worked with awesome teachers. And this is why I know I have so much to share with our teachers.
How can teachers teach to touch lives?
I share eight principles that when practiced may create awesome teaching and learning experiences. I will share these principles briefly. If you want to bring Teaching to Touch Lives to your school, I will be happy to be your next resource speaker.
- Teachers must always be a step ahead. Every teacher must set personal and professional goals. Remember, you cannot teach what you do not have.
- Teachers must learn how students learn. More important than understanding your teaching style is to master learning styles. In a student-centered classroom, teachers endeavor to provide students multiple learning opportunities.
- Teachers must help students apply what they learn. We learn best by doing. You help students implement what they learn – or at least get a vicarious experience. This is why game-based learning is often more effective than lectures.
- Teachers must communicate effectively. Awesome teachers connect concepts and ideas to the real-world experiences of the learners. Awesome teachers use stories that resonate and facts that breathe.
- Teaching is an emotional experience. It is tempting to think that teaching is head to head. Our education system often measures how sharp the memorization skills of students are. But seldom do we measure their ability to empathize, care for others, and to love. Teaching is heart to heart.
- Teachers encourage learners. The greatest hindrance to learning is the unknown; people fear the unknown. And awesome teachers do everything to give courage to students. They understand students’ fears as well as their dreams.
- Teachers must know when students are ready. Students fail because they are not ready. Every awesome teacher starts with where the students are.
- Teachers serve. We teach because we want to create a better world for students. We have the responsibility to make them win the challenges of life. We may receive that same salary, but we can choose the kind of service we give.
Teaching to Touch Lives can be given as a one-day workshop or as a two-hour talk.
Design Thinking for Teachers
These days, teachers complain most about the gargantuan amount of school work. They spend a lot of time producing documents that tell education managers they are doing something.
At the same time, teachers also tell me that our children are left behind. Something that we intuitively know.
Teachers say that the problem is in the education system. But which part of the education system is the problem? Who do we expect to solve the problem? Who is looking for the solutions to these problems?
I believe that teachers can solve the most significant problems in education. They are the frontliners. They are the molders of the future generation. They carry the burden of ensuring that our future leaders are more than ready to create new possibilities and realities.
Design Thinking for Teachers does not offer solutions to our education system. It is not a new curriculum.
Design Thinking is a discipline, a framework, a process of thinking about problems and finding opportunities and solutions.
Design Thinking can help teachers solve problems in a step-by-step process with their target customers in mind. The customers can be their fellow teachers, the parents, the community, and the students.
Design Thinking will turn teachers into creators and innovators. That instead of waiting for new solutions, they proactively find and create new solutions.
Design Thinking will help teachers become better teachers.
For Your Info
I was first invited to be a resource speaker in 2006. It was a government agency where many of the attendees were lawyers who wanted to become confident public speakers. I was in my second year as a professional speaker. I was a member of Toastmasters who has delivered more than 300 speeches.
Of course, I evolved.
So, we can be on the same page, I will define what resource speakers and what distinguished them from other speakers.
Themes and Topic
I have multiple passions and tried so many things. So, I won’t be surprised if people say I offer too many.
Well, not really.
All of these topics have something to do with how to become a better leader and how to build a thriving organization.
How can I help you?
[gravityform id=”26″ title=”false”]