Supervisor skills training aims to help you build your skills in your role as a supervisor. Supervisor skills training provides you an opportunity to build and nurture a team, contribute to the success of your organization, and develop your own personal and professional skills.
Supervisors are key change agents in an organization. You help shape both the stakeholder and the employee experience. In a supervisor training program, you will learn principles, strategies, and techniques you can use and tailor to your situations.
- Strategies of Successful Supervisors
- Supervising People
- Managing High Performance
- Excellent Communication
- Supervisor as Coaches
- Change Management
- Everyday Leadership
Many Filipino supervisors accept their new roles with great energy and enthusiasm. A promotion is an affirmation that they’re doing great in their previous jobs. Unfortunately, many of them end up frustrated and angry.
Many supervisors are not prepared for the job. Though they have the motivation to perform the job, they lack the ability to deliver. This masterclass, Strategies of Successful Supervisors, will inspire and equip new supervisors.
Let me tell you why.
As a supervisor, you lead other people. As a leader, you must remember that your employee’s success is your success. You are required to do the tasks that your subordinates do, however you are also responsible for getting thing done – and making better things happen – through others.
So, after a decade of training supervisors, I decided to design a supervisor training using action learning.
Strategies of Successful Supervisors: An Action Learning Approach to Supervisor Skills Training
Strategies of Successful Supervisors will help supervisors quickly learn and immediately apply the people skills of supervising. Most supervisors fail because they have poor people-handling skills.
• Better results due to pro-active supervisory performance.
• More highly motivated managers, supervisors and staff
• Improved staff-management relations
• Improved supervisor-manager relations
• Improved problem-solving and fewer errors due to more open and constructive communication
• Better communication and cooperation between sections.
• Higher employee morale due to more respectful communication.
• Understand and perform the roles and responsibilities of a manager/supervisor
• Motivate staff through effective interpersonal relations
• Enforce discipline professionally in the workplace.
• Delegate work efficiently and ensure it is completed on time.
• Give feedback to staff in away that builds performance.
• Communicate better with superiors and staff.
• Use adaptive leadership.
The 4-day masterclass is given for 7 hours a day, in four 1-day sessions with a week break between them.
The breaks enable participants to put their newly acquired skills into practice and see how well the techniques work.
Second, third, and fourth days of training include opportunities for participants to share what they have learned from applying the training on the job.
Action Learning Project
Delegates identify a work-related project during the last hour of the training that will be used as a measurable indicator of successful application and implementation of the training content.
The delegates participate in custom-designed coaching sessions to facilitate the completion of their Catalyst Project. Delegates document the project’s life cycle and all related issues in the provided coaching booklet.
In-Depth Learning During the Workshops
You will experiences numerous and examples that invite you to think through. There are checklist, tips, and leadership notes that reinforce your understanding of leadership ideas. The workshop is interactive and highly involving.
You can appreciate the enormous learning opportunities by considering the learning content below. This is for demonstration purposes only.
Although many of these are excellent ideas and tools to learn, we must focus on few vital behaviors that will improve your success as a supervisor.
Strategies of Successful Supervisors: Lessons
Getting Started in Supervising People
• Why You Must Want to Supervise Others
• 3 Areas You Need to Give Attention to As You Transition to Supervisor
• First Steps to Get off the Right Foot As a Supervisor
• How to Use the Two Types of Influencing Skills of a Supervisor
• How to Define Excellence in Supervising People
• The Most Important Responsibilities of a Supervisor
• Roles as a Supervisor (Some roles are more important than others)
• Why Understanding Your Job Description Is the First Step to Leadership Excellence
• Changes in Management Thought and Practices – and Why You Must Not Stay In Obsolete Ways of Leading People
• A Case Study: Employee’s Experiences with Poor Supervisors
• Surefire Strategies As You Get Started
Supervisors Must Manage High Performance
(Clue: Motivating People Is Not the Key to High Performance)
• 4 Key Skills for Managing Performance
• Appreciating the Benefits of Managing Performance and Identifying Obstacles to High Performance
• Why Supervisors Must Establish Standards for Performance
• How to Establish Clear Expectations
• How to Create Goals That Increase Performance and Productivity
• This One Skill Can Help You Solve 80% of Performance Problems
• Why Feedback Is the Breakfast of Champions and How You Can Give Winning Feedback
• 7 Essentials to Effective Recognition
• How to Provide No Cost and Low Cost Rewards and Recognition
• How to Give the Counselling Method of Feedback to Help Employees Improve Performance
• How to Give Disciplinary Method of Feedback to Protect Employee’s Rights, Yourself, and Your Company
• How to Identify Performance Problems
• Why Supervising with Flexibility Enhance Employee’s Willingness and Ability to Perform the Job Successfully
• How Supervisors Can Nurture Positive Relationships to Improve Performance
• Workshop: Coaching for Performance
• Workshop: Counselling
• Case Study: Who Will You Promote to Supervisor
• Action Plan: Applying Strategies for Managing Performance
Leading People through Excellent Communication
• Assessing Your Key Communication Skills as a Supervisor
• How Important is One-on-One Communication with Employees – and How to Implement It Effectively
• Common Problems of Leaders Who Do Not Delegate
• How to Delegate Tasks Effectively
• Use This Plan to Delegate Template to Make Effective Delegation
• How to Effectively Communicate with Your Team through Meetings
• When Is the Best Time to Hold Team Meetings and How to Make them Effective
• The Power of Managing by Wandering Around and How Supervisor Can use This Method
• Why Your Managers Expect You to Have Initiative
• How to Communicate Positively with Your Manager
• Workshop: Effective Delegation
• Case Study: Effective Delegation
• Action Plan: Improving the Supervisors’ Ability to Communicate to Everyone
Supervisors as Coaches
• 4 Key Forces in the Ever Changing Playing Field
• Coaching Behaviors of Excellent Supervisors
• The Leadership Character of Excellent Supervisors
• How to use the Coaching for Excellence Inventory to Improve Your Coaching Skills
• How to Master the Formal Coaching Process
• Positive Practices You Can Employ Tomorrow
• Workshop: Coaching Employees
• Case Study: Coaching Employees
• Action Plan: Strategies for Effective Coaching
Supervisors Deal with Change Positively
• Why Most Supervisors Resist Change – And This Is a Tremendous Mistake
• Why Every Supervisor Must Embrace the Realities of Change – And How to Learn for Each Experience
• How Can Supervisors Can Counteract Negative Reactions of Employees to Change
• How Supervisors Can Communicate Change Effectively
• Ten Commandments for Implementing Change
• Developing Your Change Management Skills
• An Effective Tool for Gaining Employee Input, Buy-in, and Involvement in A Change or Improvement Process
• Why Excellent Supervisors Employ Problem-Solving Process and How You Can too!
• Workshop: Applying Problem-Solving Process
• Case Study: Change Strategies
• Action Plan: Strategies for Managing Change
• Get Started
• Manage High Performance
• Communicate Effectively
• Coach Employees
• Manage Change
Strategies of Successful Supervisors is a four-day Masterclass with Action Learning Projects and Coaching sessions. These are your difference maker. The project and coaching session ensure that you transfer learning to application.
The outline above is for demonstration purposes only. All of the information I included in the outline are important only when you need them. When we customize the program for you, we will zero-in on vital behaviors where you can get the most advantage.